Splashtop Business app for Windows has a few different video rendering options, to achieve optimal performance during a remote session as well as to workaround certain compatibility issues.
Splashtop Business app for Windows v188.8.131.52 or later.
How to choose a different rendering option
- Open the Splashtop Business app > File menu > Options.
- Go to the Advanced tab. Click on the dropdown menu under Video Rendering Options, to see the available options.
Explanation of the rendering options
- Direct3D with YUV (default): This is the default option when the app is first installed. In our testing, it achieves the best performance and uses the least CPU resources, across most of our test cases.
- SDL with YUV: Try this option if you are getting the error message "Failed to initialize video device" in your Splashtop Business app or if the remote screen shows up blank. These symptoms potentially indicate DirectX/Direct3D is not enabled or working properly.
Also, try this option if you turn on screen recording and the remote session performance becomes severely degraded.
- Software: Try this option if above issues are not solved by using SDL with YUV, or if you run into any other issues with the other rendering options. Software option uses more CPU resources but may be the most compatible across different hardware platforms.
In versions before v184.108.40.206, this option was named "alternative rendering engine."
- Direct3D with RGB: This option was the default choice in versions before v220.127.116.11. It is being retained for completeness. For optimal performance, we recommend Direct3D with YUV.
What happens when you update Splashtop Business app from an earlier version to v18.104.22.168?
- To reduce variability, Splashtop Business app will continue to use the previous settings.
- If the app was using the default option, it will continue to use the same (now named Direct3D with RGB).
- If the app was using the "alternative rendering engine," it will continue to use the same (now named Software).
- We recommend you to switch to Direct3D with YUV at your convenience, for better performance.