According to the reports we've received from users, the "black screen" issue could be caused by the following reasons. If any of these situations pertains to you, please try the related suggestions to solve them.
I. Splashtop Streamer
Solution: Install Mirror driver, open streamer, click on Advanced tab, then scroll down and click on the Mirror driver button. (22.214.171.124 streamer or newer)
Solution: Since this issue would need to be fixed by Apple and we currently can't do anything about it, we suggest that you please use another Player like VLC instead.
3. nVidia GeForce Graphic card with Splashtop Streamer for Windows (Win 7, 8/8.1, and 10).
Solution: Please disable the GeForce optimization to see if there's any difference.
a. Execute regedit.exe on the computer with the streamer installed.
b. Double-click on it to execute it. (This step may trigger a confirm dialog box by the system; click Yes to execute if it pops up.)
c. Search registry key "EnableNvFBC". Then change the value of the key to "0".
d. Exit Splashtop Streamer by right-clicking on the icon in the System tray. Then launch the Streamer again from the Start menu. (Re-booting the computer can produce the same effect.)
e. Try to connect again and see if the "black screen" issue is gone.
4. Intel Sandy Bridge graphic card with Splashtop Streamer for Windows.
Solution: If you are using this display chip and get a black (or half green) screen, please find or add a new registry key from: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Splashtop Inc.\Splashtop Remote Server\EnableIQSV and set it to 0, then restart the Splashtop Streamer. This will fix the black screen issue on client devices.
(Download the attached EnableIQSV.reg_ file and rename it to be .reg file by deleting the underscore at the end of the name. Then double-clicking it can automatically add this key.)
5. Playing movies with various types of media players like Windows Media Player, VLC... app on Windows isn't using the proper settings while playing a movie.
Solution: Please see this link for more info.
6. Connects to a Win7 that is installed on a Mac Mini (via bootcamp) without any monitor attached (headless).
Solution: Our engineering is working on fixing this issue. A temporary workaround is to hook up a monitor to the Mac Mini.
7. If there is some software named "Rapport," or other Rapport-like software installed on your computer for the same purpose (to protect the website contents from being captured), you may see a black area within the Internet browser (not a full black screen). This means the contents you are browsing are protected, and not able to be captured, nor capable of being "streamed." In this case, you do have some options available you can try:
c. Remove Rapport (or the Rapport-like software) from your computer.
II. Splashtop Client
1. Sometimes just closing the app and then re-opening the app can easily solve this black screen issue.
2. Android v4.x + Splashtop for Android HD client v2.x may get a black screen on the tablet.
Solution: Enable option "Run in Compatible mode." You can find this option at Settings --> General Preferences --> Run in Compatible mode.
3. ViewSonic tablet with Android v3.x
Please note that the only version of ROM that we tested with ViewSonic was 2.x which is officially supported by Splashtop Remote and should not produce the black screen issue. If you use ViewSonic with an Android 3.x customized ROM, any black screen issue may need to be fixed by ViewSonic.
- Using Splashtop Streamer for Windows with RDP session: If you first connected your computer via RDP, and then connected via Splashtop Remote Desktop, both the Streamer and RDP can successfully co-exist. However, if you minimize the RDP session, Splashtop Remote Desktop will get a black screen.
Solution: Restore the RDP session again.